The Fifth Interdisciplinary Conference on Trust, Risk, Information & the Law will be held on 25 April 2018 at the Holiday Inn, Winchester UK. Our overall theme for this conference will be: “Public Law, Politics and the Constitution: A new battleground between the Law and Technology?”
Keynote speakers will be Michael Barton, Chief Constable of Durham Constabulary and Jamie Bartlett, Director of the Centre for the Analysis of Social Media for Demos in conjunction with the University of Sussex, and author of several books including ‘Radicals’ and ‘The Dark Net’.
Papers are welcomed on any aspect of the conference theme. This might include although is not restricted to:
– Fake news: definition, consequences, responsibilities and liabilities;
– The use of Big Data in political campaigning;
– Social media ‘echo chambers’ and political campaigning;
– Digital threats and impact on the political process;
– The Dark Net and consequences for the State and the Constitution;
– Big Tech – the new States and how to regulate them;
– The use of algorithmic tools and Big Data by the public sector;
– Tackling terrorist propaganda and digital communications within Constitutional values;
– Technology neutral legislation;
– Threats to individual privacy and public law solutions;
– Online courts and holding the State to account.
Abstracts for papers should be no more than 300 words in length. Successful applicants will be allocated 15-20 minutes for presentation of their paper plus time for questions and discussion.
Proposals for workshops are also welcome. Proposals should summarise the workshop theme and goals, organising committee and schedule of speakers, panels and/or talks. Proposals should be no more than 500 words. Workshops should be timed to be 1.5-2 hours in length.
The full call for papers and workshops can be found at https://journals.
Abstracts and proposals, contained in a Word document, should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include name, title, institution/organisation details and email correspondence address.
The deadline for submission is Friday 26 January 2018. Successful applicants will be notified by 16 February 2018.